Search site

Flood Plan

Netley Marsh Parish Council

Village Flood Plan

September 2003 Reviewed June 2012



1.0 Introduction 3

2.0 Flood Warnings 3-4

3.0 Flooding Events - definitions 7

4.0 Flood Prevention 7-8

5.0 Flood Action

5.1 Cleaning up and Prevention of Infection 8-10

5.2 Re-occupying your home 10-13

6.0 Levels of Response from Authorities 14

7.0 Authorities involved 15

8.0 Authorities - Action and Contact Details 16-19

Quick Reference - Action to be taken 20

Quick Reference - Contact Details 21

Netley Marsh Parish Council

Village Flood Plan


1.1 This document is to assist Netley Marsh Parish Council and people living in the catchment area of Netley Marsh Parish Council in preparing and responding to a flooding event in their area.

1.2 Details in the Plan concentrate on the operational aspects of flooding, eg protecting life and property and managing the flood.

1.3 The actions of each organisation are listed but they may not necessarily be carried out as the result of a duty or responsibility.

2.0 Flood Warnings

2.1 The Environment Agency's Local Flood Warning Plan provides details of the flood warning arrangements for specific Flood Warning areas where there is a risk of flooding from rivers or the sea. The Agency also provides information on ground water levels.

2.2 There are four warning codes, represented by graphical icons. These are:

  • Flood Watch - flooding is possible.
  • Flood Warning - flooding is expected.
  • Severe Flood Warning - Severe flooding is expected. Act now!
  • All Clear - there are no flood watches or flood warnings currently in force.

2.3 Flood Watch is a general alert concerning flooding from rivers, streams, ditches, watercourses, estuaries and the sea. Flood Warnings and Severe Flood Warnings relate to specific Flood Warning Areas at risk of flooding from rivers and the sea.

2.4 Flooding is a natural process. The risk of flooding can be reduced but never eliminated, so there is a need to warn people when flooding is likely to occur. If a local resident or householder would like to receive Flood Warnings from the Environment Agency, they can be included in this free service by completing and returning the Environment Agency application form included as an Appendix to this Plan, see final page. This means that the Environment Agency can call or fax them to try and forewarn of possible flooding from the rivers in the area.

Local residents are urged to apply to receive flood warnings by completing and returning the form issued by the Environment Agency entitled

'Flood Warnings by Telephone'

which will be found at the final page of this plan.

The form should be returned to:

Mrs Terri Gammon

Flood Warning Officer

Environment Agency

Colvedene Court, Wessex Way

Colden Common


SO21 1WP

Tel: 01962 713267

Fax: 01962 841573

Flood Watch

Flood Watch

Flooding is possible, and the situation could worsen, so:

  • Watch water levels
  • Stay tuned to local radio or TV
  • Ring Floodline on 0845 988 1188
  • Make sure you have what you need to put your flood plan into action
  • Alert your neighbours, particularly the elderly
  • Check pets and livestock
  • Reconsider travel plans

Flood Warning

Flood Warning

Flooding is now expected, so put your flood plan into action:

As with Flood Watch plus

  • Move pets, vehicles, food, valuables and other items to safety
  • Put sandbags or flood boards in place
  • Prepare to turn off gas and electricity
  • Be prepared to evacuate your home
  • Protect yourself, your family and others that need your help

Severe Flood Warning

Severe Flood Warning

Severe flooding is now expected:

As with Flood Warning plus

  • Be prepared to lose power supplies - gas, electricity, water, telephone
  • Try to keep calm, and to reassure others, especially children
  • Co-operate with emergency services and local authorities
  • You may be evacuated

All Clear

All Clear

An all clear will be issued when flood watches or warnings are no longer in force.

  • Flood water levels receding.
  • Check all is safe to return.
  • Seek advice.


3.1 The main types of flooding event referred to in this plan are:

  • TIDAL (Sea)
  • FLUVIAL (River)
  • FLASH (Roads, ditches, fields)
  • GROUNDWATER (High watertable)
  • SEWAGE (Sewers, rising mains and pumping stations)
  • POTABLE WATER (Mains failure)

    3.2 The main causes of flooding in the area of Netley Marsh Parish Council arise from the Bartley Water, or from surface water that is unable to run away or disperse through natural drainage or drainage systems that have been constructed.


4.1 Netley Marsh Parish Council does not have the resources to store emergency equipment (sandbags, for example), and must rely on giving local residents the information they will need to enable them to quickly and effectively obtain help and support in the event of flood. In cases where property owners and occupiers are aware of their situation with regard to flood risk, they should give consideration to ways in which they can protect their property.

The following agencies may be able to provide sandbags and other emergency equipment:

New Forest District Council, Lyndhurst

Tel: 023 8028 5000

Hampshire County Council - Area West

Tel: 023 8066 3388

4.2 Where to place sandbags:

  • You can prevent or reduce flooding by taking steps to stop flood water entering your home or work place. This can be done by blocking doorways and airbricks from the outside with sandbags.

4.3 How to place sandbags:

  • Lift the sandbag by the neck and place it across the doorway. Ensure it is bedded in against the door and frame. Make sure the neck is pulled back across the top of the bag. Layer the sandbags in brick formation ensuring that joints are staggered.

4.4 Where to store sandbags:

  • Keep your sandbags out of the rain and sunshine to ensure they last longer.
  • Please note that sandbags will deteriorate naturally, and should be inspected before flooding may occur in order to ensure that they are still suitable for use.
  • A number of Flood Protection Products have also been produced in recent years. A new BS Kitemark standard has been established for flood protection products, and residents in the Parish may find it appropriate to purchase such products.


5.1 Cleaning up and Protecting against infection

(Based on guidance notes produced by the Public Health Laboratory Service)

The floodwater affecting your home or other property may have been contaminated with sewage, animal waste and other contaminants. However infection problems arising from floods in the UK are actually rare.

Although harmful micro-organisms in floodwater are very diluted and present a low risk there are a few precautions to be aware of when dealing with flooding which should prevent unnecessary health problems.

If you follow the basic advice below you should not experience any additional health problems:

  • Flood water and sewage often leaves a muddy deposit. However, experience from previous flooding and sewage contamination has shown that any risk to health is small. You do not need any booster immunisations or antibiotics.
  • Health risks can be minimised by taking general hygiene precautions and by the use of protective clothing (waterproof boots and gloves) whilst cleaning up.
  • Always wash your hands with soap and water after going to the toilet, before eating or preparing food, after being in contact with flood water, sewage or items that have been contaminated by these, or participating in flood clean-up activities.
  • Do not allow children to play in flood water areas and wash children's hands frequently (always before meals). Wash flood water-contaminated toys with hot water or disinfectant before allowing them to be used.
  • Keep any open cuts or sores clean and prevent them being exposed to flood water. Wear protective waterproof plasters.
  • Harmful gut bacterial such as Ecoli 0157 may be present in sewage and animal slurry, and this can pass into flood water, although there is likely to be substantial dilution. If anyone does develop a tummy upset following direct flooding or contact with sewage they should seek medical advice.
  • While in the property floorboards, walls etc will continue to dry out. Any loose material and dust results from this should be vacuumed up on a regular basis.
  • Very young children should avoid playing directly on timber floorboards or any damaged tiled floors if possible - be aware of the risk of injury from sharp edges on tiles or raised nails in the floorboards until these have been repaired.
  • Help for vulnerable and elderly people returning to their houses is available from the Social Services Department.
  • Contact your doctor if you become ill after accidentally swallowing mud or contaminated water and explain that your house was flooded.

Gardens and Play Areas

  • Do not let young children play on affected grassed or paved areas until they have been cleaned down and restored to their normal condition.
  • Sunlight and soil help destroy harmful bacterial and any excess risk to health should disappear completely within a week or so. The best way of protecting health is always to wash your hands before eating or preparing food.

If the Inside of your Home is Affected

  • Remove all soft furnishings and fittings that are damaged beyond repair.
  • Remove dirty water and silt from the property, including the space under the ground floor if you have wooden floors. This space may need pumping out.
  • Wash down all hard surfaces with hot soapy water until they look clean. Use domestic disinfectant, following manufacturers directions as to concentrations, to wash over all hard surfaces after cleaning.
  • Food preparation surfaces and storage cupboards, refrigerators etc should be washed down with food safe disinfectants such as Milton, Dettox or similar.
  • Allow to thoroughly dry - this will also help to destroy germs left behind
  • Heating and good ventilation will assist the drying out process.

Clothing and Bedding

  • Clothing, bedding and other soft/fabric articles including children's toys etc should be laundered on a hot wash (60 or the highest temperature indicated on manufacturer's instructions), which will destroy most germs that may be present. Other soft furnishings that have been contaminated and cannot be put in a washing machine will have to be professionally cleaned or, if this is not possible, may have to be disposed of.

Other contaminants

  • If the floodwater contained oil, diesel etc this should in the main be removed with the floodwater and silt. Any remaining oil, diesel etc contamination in accessible areas can be removed by using a detergent solution and washing the surface down after initial cleaning has been carried out. In inaccessible areas such as under floorboards it may present an odour problem but is not necessarily a health hazard. Further advice should be sought from Environmental Health if the odour persists or if you are particularly concerned about it for other reasons.

5.2 Returning to your Home

It is recommended that you only fully re-occupy your home once the above cleaning has been carried out. There may be additional works to be carried out eventually as advised by your insurance company, housing officer, landlord, builder etc. If you decided to return to your home before this work is completed you should:

  • Try to have some heating on at all times. Consider the use of a dehumidifier.
  • Ensure the property is well ventilated. Leave windows open as much as possible, but remember security!
  • Ensure that if you have airbricks to any under floor space that they are unblocked to give cross ventilation to these areas.
Food Preparation and Storage
  • Do not eat any food that has been covered by or come into contact with sewage or flood water.
  • Wash your hands before and after preparing food. Take particular care in preparing food, always wash your hands before starting.
  • Ensure that all surfaces that food will come into contact with are sound and disinfected. If worktops and other areas show signs of damage, avoid food contact with these areas. Particularly, make sure that the shelves, including those in your refrigerator where food is stored, are cleaned and disinfected.
  • Use boiled water, which has then been allowed to cool, to wash food that is eaten raw. It is safe to use unboiled tap water in the preparation of food that is to be cooked. It is safe to use unboiled tap water for cooking if it will be boiled during the cooking process.
  • Food preparation surfaces should be wiped down using hot unboiled tap water containing washing-up liquid, and dishes and other utensils should also be washed in hot unboiled tap water containing washing-up liquid.
  • Fitted units made of chipboard, particularly in the kitchen, may not dry out well and will become damaged by absorbed water. Sanitisation of these is difficult and therefore may have to be eventually replaced.
  • Try to keep any opened food in an enclosed box or tin.
  • All crockery, pots and pans should be thoroughly washed with hot soapy water before use. If any of these are badly chipped or damaged do not use. You could use a food-safe disinfectant to sanitise them after cleaning.
  • Frozen food that has been at room temperature for a few hours should be discarded. Put contaminated flood-damaged food in black plastic refuse sacks, seal and put out when your refuse collection is due. Check with insurers before disposal. Do not be tempted to try and keep damaged food - including tins - as they may be contaminated with sewage and chemicals left from the flood water.
If Your Drinking Water Becomes Contaminated
  • People whose water comes through a mains supply should follow the advice of the local water company regarding the safety of their water supply. Water companies have a duty to take all necessary steps to protect public health. If a water treatment works becomes flooded alternative supplies are normally available but consumers may be advised to boil water before drinking or temporarily stop using water for domestic purposes.
  • If you notice a change in water quality, such as the water becoming discoloured, or there is a change in taste or smell, or if you are unsure, ring your local water company. If in doubt boil all water intended for drinking or use bottled water.
  • If your water is a private supply such as a well or spring, then check that it has not been affected by the floodwater. If a private well or spring has been covered by flood water, if the water changes colour or taste, or you believe the supply has been affected by the flood then boil or otherwise treat the water. Continue to boil water until the supply has been tested and shown to be safe. Boiling water kills harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites that may be present in water.
  • Bring the water to the boil and then allow it to cool before drinking.
  • It can be stored in a clean jug covered by a saucer in a cool place, preferably the fridge).
  • Ice should only be made from water prepared for drinking.
    • If you have been advised to boil your water, then boil all water for drinking, brushing teeth, washing food and making ice.
    • Water from the hot tap is not suitable for drinking.
    • Ensure the water taps are cleaned and disinfected before using them for the first time.
    • If there is a bottle-fed baby in the house make sure their water is boiled and do not use bottled water unless it is recommended by a doctor or health visitor. Some bottled water is unsuitable for babies as it has too many salts for their immature kidneys.
    Remember the following
    • Contact your insurance company (if relevant) and make an inventory list of all damaged goods, including food. If you can, take photographic or video picture. Check with insurers before disposal of contaminated flood-damaged food.
    • Replace manhole covers dislodged by the flood.
    • Ensure that the house is properly aired to encourage drying
    • Make sure that any mould growth is properly treated. Fungicidal products are available from DIY stores.
    • After about six months it would be advisable to check timber floors for any evidence of rot or shrinkage. Any necessary repair work can then be made.
    • Check for structural damage to your property and if you think there is damage or danger seek advice from your insurer, builder or building control officer.
    DO NOT
    • DO NOT be tempted to try and salvage damaged food as it may be contaminated with sewage or chemicals left from the floodwater
    • DO NOT switch on electrical appliances that have been in contact with the floodwater unless a competent electrician has checked them. Your local electricity supply company will be checking mains supplies.
    • DO NOT eat home grown garden or allotment fruit and vegetables that have been covered by floodwater. Leave undamaged vegetables in the ground for at least another two weeks and then only use them after thorough washing and cooking.

    Finally, both physical stress associated with over-exertion in cleaning up premises, and mental stress caused by temporary relocation may make you feel unwell. Indeed, the major health hazard of floods comes from all the stress and strain of the event, not infection. If you feel unwell this does not necessarily mean that you are suffering from any infection, but if you are concerned - visit your own doctor.


    6.1 The level of response from the authorities to a flooding incident will depend on what is flooded or is at risk of being flooded. There are five priority categories:


    1 People - Action to protect life

    2 Houses - Action to protect life and property

    3 Roads - Action to protect life and property

    4 Commercial Property - Possible action to protect property

    5 Gardens/Agricultural Land - No action

    6.2 There are other factors that may influence the level of a response. Priority is likely to be given to the old or infirm when assisting people, and to occupied property when protecting property. The classification of roads may be used in prioritising responses to road flooding and the protection of commercial property may depend on the risk of environmental pollution from stored chemicals etc.

    6.3 Netley Marsh Parish Council has supported local residents in bringing pressure to bear on local Highway and Water services to take steps to alleviate the risk of flooding. In response, budgetary provision has been made and a programme of local works has been drawn up.


    7.1 The following organisations may be involved in direct specific action during a flooding event. Property owners are listed as it is their responsibility to protect their own property from flooding.







    • Issue flood warnings
    • Receive and record details of all flooding incidents
    • Monitor the situation and advise other organisations
    • Deal with emergency repairs and blockages on main rivers and own structures
    • Respond to pollution incidents
    • Advise on waste disposal issues



    Tel: 01962 713267



    Tel: 0800 80 70 60


    • Co-ordinate emergency arrangements
    • Maintain safe conditions on the roads
    • Put flood warning signs on the highway
    • Organise road closures and traffic diversions
    • Clear blockages on highway drainage system
    • May take action to protect property from flooding by water from the highway where there is a failure of the highway drainage system.

    Hampshire County Council


    Main Switchboard: 01962 841841

    Highways, Winchester: 01962 846912

    Highways, Totton: 023 8066 3388


    • Co-ordinating role for own area
    • Flood warning dissemination (By local agreement with Environment Agency)
      • Emergency Assistance (S138 LGA 1972) - Provide sandbags
      • Clear blocked watercourses etc. (Land Drainage Act powers)
      • Carry out actions as County Council for highways (Highways Agency areas only)
      • Environmental Health issues - pollution
      • Blocked road channels and gully gratings - Street cleaning
      • Emergency Planning Support Groups

      New Forest District Council


      Tel: 023 8028 5000


      • Flood warning dissemination (by local agreement with Environment Agency)

        Totton Town Council Flood Line

        Tel: 023 8086 3188

        Netley Marsh Parish Council Flood Action Sub-Committee

        Cllr Bridget Babey Tel:  023 8081 2099

        Councillor Les Puttock Tel: 023 8086 9444


        • Rescue
        • Respond to all emergency incidents as required
        • Assist local residents where necessary and may pump out floodwater, but there may be a charge for this service to householders.


        Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

        County Fire HQ, Eastleigh

        Tel: 023 8062 0000

        8.6 WATER COMPANY

        • Emergency overpumping or tankering at Pumping Stations
        • Clearing blockages in public sewers and outfall grills
        • Repairing burst sewage and water pumping mains
        • May take action to protect property from flooding by water from the public water mains or discharges from the public sewerage systems.

        Southern Water

        Technical Enquiries including 24-hour Emergency Service

        Tel: 0845 278 0845


        • Attend to emergencies relating to the service they provide at properties putting life at risk as a result of flooding
        • Attend to flooding emergencies at their own service installations

        Residents are advised to make a note of their local service supplier and keep emergency contact numbers handy


        • Move temporarily to a safe area if life is at risk
        • Prevent water from entering property if possible
        • Switch off electricity and gas supplies at mains
        • Move valuable possessions upstairs where possible

        Advice given at Sections 4.0-5.0 (pages 7-13) may be of help in a

        flooding event

        In addition, the following leaflets give advice to local residents

        on how to prepare for flooding and protect their home:

        Damage Limitation: How to make your home flood resistant

        Flood Products: Using Flood Protection Products - a Guide for


        After a Flood: How to restore your home

        These leaflets are obtainable free of charge from

        The Environment Agency

        General Enquiry Line: 0845 933 3111


        Environment Agency Floodline: 0845 988 1188


        • May be able to offer advice on how to obtain money in an emergency and assist in dealing with insurance queries

        Totton Citizen's Advice Bureaux

        Tel: 023 8086 3978

        8.10 SOCIAL SERVICES

        • May provide meals-on-wheels and care for elderly or frail people confined in their homes

        Hampshire Social Services, Hythe Area Office

        Tel: 023 8084 1841


        • Check your insurance cover. Keep details and emergency contact number with your flood kit.
        • Make up a flood kit including
          • key personal documents and contact information
          • torch or gas lamp
          • battery or wind-up radio
          • mobile phone
          • rubber gloves
          • wellington boots
          • waterproof clothing
          • first aid kit and blankets
          • Find out where you can get sandbags or flood boards to block doorways and airbricks. In an emergency, make sandbags using old pillow-cases, carrier bags or even tights filled with sand or earth.
          • Make sure you know where to turn off your gas, electricity and water, even in the dark. If you're not sure ask the person who checks your meter when they next visit. Keep details handy in case of emergency
          • Make a Family Food Plan including
            • Children's essentials, milk, baby food, sterilizing equipment, nappies etc
            • Tinned foodstuffs that will keep for long periods without deterioration
            • Medication that is required regularly
            • Provision for family pets
              • Think about how you would prepare food without power or services. Do you have a camping stove that can be kept handy for emergency use?
              • Consider where you would move your furniture and effects out of reach of floodwater.
                • Consider where you would move the car to for its protection, and also to allow access for emergency vehicles if required
                STAY SAFE IN A FLOOD
                • Don't try to walk or drive through floodwater. Six inches of fast flowing water can knock you over and two feet of water will float your car. Manhole covers may have come off and there may be other unseen hazards
                • Never try to swim through fast flowing water. You may get swept away or be struck by an object in the water
                • Don't walk on sea defences, riverbanks or cross river bridges if possible. They may collapse in extreme situations or you may be swept off by large waves. Beware of stones and pebbles being thrown up by waves
                • Avoid contact with floodwater, it may be contaminated with sewage

                Information taken from leaflets available from the Environment Agency

       Tel: 0845 933 3111

                CONTACT DETAILS


                For advice on how to prepare a flood action plan for your household

                ENVIRONMENT AGENCY

                FLOODLINE: TEL: 0845 988 1188

                HAMPSHIRE & ISLE OF WIGHT AREA OFFICE: 01962 713267

                EMERGENCY HOTLINE: TEL: 0800 80 70 60

                In Emergency Dial 999 for Police, Fire, Ambulance


                All enquiries Police HQ, Winchester Tel: 0845 045 45 45

                Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

                County Fire HQ, Eastleigh Tel: 023 8062 0000

                Hampshire County Council

                Freefone: 0800 028 0888; Main Switchboard 01962 841841

                Emergency Planning Unit: 01962 846846

                Highways Office, Winchester: 01962 846912

                Highways Office, Totton - Tel: 023 8066 3388

                Southern Water

                Technical Enquiries including 24-hour Emergency Service

                Tel: 0845 278 0845

                Electricity, Gas and Telephone Companies

                The supply of these services is now in the hands of a number of different companies. Residents are advised to make a note of their particular supplier and keep emergency contact numbers handy

                New Forest District Council

                Appletree Court, Lyndhurst

                Tel: 023 8028 5000

                Totton Town Council Flood Line

                Tel: 023 8086 3188

                Citizen's Advice Bureaux, Totton

                023 8086 3978

                Social Services, Hythe Area Office

                Tel: 023 8084 1841